Skip to main content

Yokohama, Japan


Day 82

I didn't make any plans for today, so I just decided to look in the travel book at the purser's desk and wander around on my own. I decided to find some coffee and breakfast  before hitting up the Yokohama Museum of Art

As I was wandering through the city, I stumbled upon a quaint cafe where I got a latte and a blueberry pastry. I could even watch the japanese people sketching on the street outside. I guess they like to do that here. 

After my little perk up, I jumped on the train and went a couple of stops to where the museum was. They have shops inside the train stations here, and I spent quite a while inside one picking out postcards and a die-cut model ship for uncle Mark. I had a leisurely walk around the block to the museum entrance, taking lots of pictures of the fall colors and a Christmas tree along the way. 

It was my lucky day because there was a Cézanne exhibit at the art museum. I doubt if I've been to one before. After looking at that, I walked directly into the more modern art exhibi
t. I was just innocently walking around, enjoying the strange art, when BAM! I had three huge Dalí paintings staring me in the face. I almost melted with pleasure. I adore Dalí, and I think I sat in front of those paintings for at least an hour. I guess that's when my stomach started to win the battle.

Outside, the perfect weather continued, and I walked a block or so over to what looked like a mall. Turned out that it was a mall, and there was a gigantic Hello Kitty store inside. That's where I ran into Kayla. She and one of her other friends (who was buying his ex-girlfriend several hundred dollars worth of Hello Kitty merch) were about to head to lunch as well, so I joined them.
We walked past an amusement park with a huge ferris wheel. You could see the ship docked from there, too. Our destination, where Kayla was meeting Kate, Katie (Hawaii) and others, was another mall, about a block away. It had an extensive food court. There was everything you wanted, like Super 88. I made sure to follow my meal with some mochi. I want to know why we can't find this stuff hardly anywhere in Boston.

I followed lunch with some shopping; there was no way I was going home to my bland wardrobe when they clearly had such great clothing here. 
Later that night, I was in Josie's room, catching up with her and Sara. We were watching the city shrink as the ship pulled out of the port. There were several other boats around as well, nothing unusual. All of a sudden, we see the top of a boat swaying back and forth right outside of the window! The waves were causing one of the fishing boats to run right into us. The three of us were screaming and scared that the little boat's tower would smack into and break the window at any second. Not that that kept us from pressing our faces up against it to see what was going on down below. The poor fishermen were doing everything they could to get away from us and being pounded by waves the whole time. I was sure one of them would be washed overboard. 

We were expecting to hear some kind of announcement to head to the muster stations, but when nothing happened, we raced up to the seventh deck to scope it out. No one up there even knew what was going on. I guess we were the only ones who saw it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Voyage Day 1–Aug 29, 2008

We have officially started our voyage today. I stood in line to board the ship in the sweltering sun for around 45 minutes, finally getting on the boat that will be my home for the next three months at 11:30 am (eastern time). They took my passport and vaccination records, handed me an insurance card, ID card and sent me off to my room. My roommate was already in our cozy cabin, 4157. Her name is Kellie, and she is a senior in some school in New Hampshire, though she is from New Jersey like everyone else on the east coast. She commenced unpacking while I waited for my own luggage to be delivered. It's so weird to compare the amount of stuff I seem to need up in Boston to what I brought on this trip. I needed to pack appropriate clothing for 11 different countries, oh and the ocean. But I was limited to two bags of up to 70 lbs (mine were under 50lbs) plus one carry-on. While I was packing, it felt as if I would never have enough stuff. As soon as I checked my bags at the airpo

Arrive in Salvador, Brazil

Day 10 Here's the low-down on what I've done so far today in Salvador. We were awakened by chaos in the passport department; they couldn't decide how the process was going to go. First it was by sea, then randomly by name, then they went ahead and had the de-briefing meeting, then the process went back to by sea with random face-to-face stamping. I could have slept in for longer. We finally disembarked after ten am and walked to the elevator that takes you to the upper city. The street we walked along to get to the elevator smelled like urine. Horses kept clomping by, I assume as a part of the Independence Day parade. They were setting up a marketplace in a plaza at the base of the elevator, which we perused, but didn't buy anything in. There was another plaza at the top of the elevator with spectacular views of the bay. People everywhere were were trying to sell us shell necklaces, straw hats and other things. There were street bands playing drums and different in

Lat: 12° 32.6N Long: 58° 0.75W

Day 4 at sea This whole journal-keeping thing is hard. When do people find the time to do this stuff? I feel as though I'll be constantly busy this entire semester. No time to relax on the beach or deck by the pool. We had our first classes yesterday–an A day. I had International Investments at 800 then Communication Across Race and Culture at 1425. It didn't take long for me to decide that I needed to drop the finance class. There was a suggested pre-rec of intro to macro, which I did not take of course, and I was completely lost. I felt better later, though, after I talked with another kid from the class who had taken both macro and micro and still didn't know any of the terms on the homework. I love my communication class. The professor is very cool and laid back. She wants everyone to feel relaxed and to not worry about grades. She is also a psychotherapist. That's pretty awesome. She reminds me of Shannon Boston in the way she is jolly and draws people to her