Skip to main content

Anchors Away

Day 104
My last day in Costa Rica. My last day in a foreign country for my Semester At Sea experience. (Panama doesn't count.) I keep thinking it will be summer when I get home. Repeatedly, I have started to say, “When I get home this summer....” Nope. Wrong. It will be winter. Frigid winter. 

Oh, it is beautiful here. I am going to recover today by laying on the beach. The weird thing is there are very few people out today. It's not like Waikiki. The sand here is different. There are much more minerals in it, making it darker.

I found a spot on the beach near some other people and the lawn chairs that you can rent. I'm cheap, so I didn't rent one. I just spread my Brazilian sarong out on the scorching sand, and I lay down with my book.

After a few minutes, a guy came up and asked me about my tattoo. He was a little surprised that I could speak spanish. He asked me how much it cost and if I had any more. I wish I knew more about the tattoo culture in Costa Rica. I only know that in Malaysia tattoos are very taboo. Usually only gang members have them. After a while the guy left. He seemed disappointed that I had only one.

It was about another quarter of an hour before Wilbur showed up. He made me go into the water. It was too hot, but I didn't want to be hot and sticky from the salt water. After we got out we walked on down the beach and ran into a couple of his friends. They were friendly, as most Costa Ricans are in my experience. They played fútbol and guitar. They talked to me about America a little bit. 

Then a clown walked over. Yes, a clown. He had a painted face, big red nose and oversized, colorful clothing. He immediately recognized me as an American. (That seems to be a skill everyone everywhere in the world has.) He started speaking to me in spanish, but he spoke too quickly for me to understand. So I looked at Wil for an explanation. That's when this clown went off on how Americans expect everyone to speak and understand English in their country, but then they go to other places and don't speak their languages. 

I could understand his complaints because I could catch bits and pieces, but I was too shocked to retaliate or explain myself. I'm sorry I don't have a firm enough grasp of spanish to understand everything said in a spanish-speaking country. I'm trying.

Soon we walked back down the beach towards the ship, my precious MV Explorer. I wasn't ready for this trip to be over. I sat on the beach watching SASers trickle by me and get into the ever-lengthening line. 
I wish there were words for my feelings. So many feelings: the grime of Salvador, the awe of Iguacu Falls, the surpassed expectations of Namibia, the adventure of South Africa, the...well, assault of senses in India, the heat of Malaysia, the juxtaposition of paradise and pain in Vietnam, the consumption of Hong Kong, the confusion of China, the perfection of Japan, the pleasure of being in your home country to celebrate a national holiday, the relaxation of Costa Rica. But what about the tightness in my stomach when I think of this being over? I can never come back to this voyage, with these people and experiences, the lessons I've learned, the things I've seen. My life has been changed is ways that I'll never be able to describe, so I hope this blog has at least given some insight into all my feelings. 

Now, off to my next adventure.
                                           
                

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Voyage Day 1–Aug 29, 2008

We have officially started our voyage today. I stood in line to board the ship in the sweltering sun for around 45 minutes, finally getting on the boat that will be my home for the next three months at 11:30 am (eastern time). They took my passport and vaccination records, handed me an insurance card, ID card and sent me off to my room. My roommate was already in our cozy cabin, 4157. Her name is Kellie, and she is a senior in some school in New Hampshire, though she is from New Jersey like everyone else on the east coast. She commenced unpacking while I waited for my own luggage to be delivered. It's so weird to compare the amount of stuff I seem to need up in Boston to what I brought on this trip. I needed to pack appropriate clothing for 11 different countries, oh and the ocean. But I was limited to two bags of up to 70 lbs (mine were under 50lbs) plus one carry-on. While I was packing, it felt as if I would never have enough stuff. As soon as I checked my bags at the airpo

Arrive in Salvador, Brazil

Day 10 Here's the low-down on what I've done so far today in Salvador. We were awakened by chaos in the passport department; they couldn't decide how the process was going to go. First it was by sea, then randomly by name, then they went ahead and had the de-briefing meeting, then the process went back to by sea with random face-to-face stamping. I could have slept in for longer. We finally disembarked after ten am and walked to the elevator that takes you to the upper city. The street we walked along to get to the elevator smelled like urine. Horses kept clomping by, I assume as a part of the Independence Day parade. They were setting up a marketplace in a plaza at the base of the elevator, which we perused, but didn't buy anything in. There was another plaza at the top of the elevator with spectacular views of the bay. People everywhere were were trying to sell us shell necklaces, straw hats and other things. There were street bands playing drums and different in

Lat: 12° 32.6N Long: 58° 0.75W

Day 4 at sea This whole journal-keeping thing is hard. When do people find the time to do this stuff? I feel as though I'll be constantly busy this entire semester. No time to relax on the beach or deck by the pool. We had our first classes yesterday–an A day. I had International Investments at 800 then Communication Across Race and Culture at 1425. It didn't take long for me to decide that I needed to drop the finance class. There was a suggested pre-rec of intro to macro, which I did not take of course, and I was completely lost. I felt better later, though, after I talked with another kid from the class who had taken both macro and micro and still didn't know any of the terms on the homework. I love my communication class. The professor is very cool and laid back. She wants everyone to feel relaxed and to not worry about grades. She is also a psychotherapist. That's pretty awesome. She reminds me of Shannon Boston in the way she is jolly and draws people to her