Skip to main content

Buddhist Pagoda


Day 66

Our last day in Nha Trang. I will miss this jewel of a place. We got up early this morning to visit the Buddhist Pagoda with the largest seated Buddha in Asia (I think?). When the bus pulled up there was a lot of activity. Motorcycles and scooters were zooming around, dropping off or picking up children and worshipers. 
There were so many children there. It was either a visiting day (very unlikely) or there is a school connected to the pagoda (probable). So, as the kids were screaming, singing, running around, playing games, selling things and likely pick-pocketing, we talked about the architectural influences of the building. Basically anything along the typhoon trade route has some influence here. No duh.
We made our way up the steps to the entrance of the pagoda. There was a worship session going on inside with all female monks. They

 were chanting, knealing down, bowing. I took pictures of the shrine at the back of the temple and some chart that showed all the different buddhas over time. The decorations of the building itself was magnificient. They had used bright paints and detailed pictures of dragons, flowers and other religious, oriental type pictures. The columns and entrances had characters painted on them, seeming to protect anyone walking by or through them.
Eventually, we started to make our way up the hundreds of steps to where the giant Buddha sat. There were places along the way marked with insights or advice from past buddhas or wise men. There were also a few beggars sitting on the stairs in such a way that you basically couldn't pass without giving them something. We stopped about halfway up, where
 there was a giant bell. I assume they were ringing it to signal the end of the worship that morning. The sound was so loud, but that didn't stop a few people from sitting inside the bell as it rang. Apparantly, when you sit inside, you can hear the sound spinning around the bell. I am too afraid of loosing my hearing to try it though.
From the top of the hill you could see everything. And the Buddha was seated peacefully at the top. Children were running around everywhere, chasing us, trying to get into pictures. I sat on the steps with my sign and immediately four of them surrounded me. After taking the picture, one of them snatched my sign. It was no big deal to me—I just needed the picture. But as I walked away to explore, I could hear the kids fighting over it.

I wandered into the shrine that was built into the base of the Buddha. It looked basically the same as most other shrines, but there were warrior decorations guarding the door and on the inside walls. I also wandered around among the memorials to worshipers or others who could afford one.
All too soon, it was time to head down, back to the bus, to go off to the airport. Ciao Nha Trang!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Voyage Day 1–Aug 29, 2008

We have officially started our voyage today. I stood in line to board the ship in the sweltering sun for around 45 minutes, finally getting on the boat that will be my home for the next three months at 11:30 am (eastern time). They took my passport and vaccination records, handed me an insurance card, ID card and sent me off to my room. My roommate was already in our cozy cabin, 4157. Her name is Kellie, and she is a senior in some school in New Hampshire, though she is from New Jersey like everyone else on the east coast. She commenced unpacking while I waited for my own luggage to be delivered. It's so weird to compare the amount of stuff I seem to need up in Boston to what I brought on this trip. I needed to pack appropriate clothing for 11 different countries, oh and the ocean. But I was limited to two bags of up to 70 lbs (mine were under 50lbs) plus one carry-on. While I was packing, it felt as if I would never have enough stuff. As soon as I checked my bags at the airpo

Arrive in Salvador, Brazil

Day 10 Here's the low-down on what I've done so far today in Salvador. We were awakened by chaos in the passport department; they couldn't decide how the process was going to go. First it was by sea, then randomly by name, then they went ahead and had the de-briefing meeting, then the process went back to by sea with random face-to-face stamping. I could have slept in for longer. We finally disembarked after ten am and walked to the elevator that takes you to the upper city. The street we walked along to get to the elevator smelled like urine. Horses kept clomping by, I assume as a part of the Independence Day parade. They were setting up a marketplace in a plaza at the base of the elevator, which we perused, but didn't buy anything in. There was another plaza at the top of the elevator with spectacular views of the bay. People everywhere were were trying to sell us shell necklaces, straw hats and other things. There were street bands playing drums and different in

Lat: 12° 32.6N Long: 58° 0.75W

Day 4 at sea This whole journal-keeping thing is hard. When do people find the time to do this stuff? I feel as though I'll be constantly busy this entire semester. No time to relax on the beach or deck by the pool. We had our first classes yesterday–an A day. I had International Investments at 800 then Communication Across Race and Culture at 1425. It didn't take long for me to decide that I needed to drop the finance class. There was a suggested pre-rec of intro to macro, which I did not take of course, and I was completely lost. I felt better later, though, after I talked with another kid from the class who had taken both macro and micro and still didn't know any of the terms on the homework. I love my communication class. The professor is very cool and laid back. She wants everyone to feel relaxed and to not worry about grades. She is also a psychotherapist. That's pretty awesome. She reminds me of Shannon Boston in the way she is jolly and draws people to her