Skip to main content

Tokyo, Japan

Day 81

I was ready to go early this morning. Had to be. We're going to Tokyo Disney Sea!! It's the happiest place on Earth.  I was worried, though, because I could not get a hold of Yuri. Communication purely through email (unreliable email at that) is difficult. Thankfully I got an email from her right before we got off the ship. She gave me train directions to Disney Sea and set a time and place to meet up. I was going to meet her in the Tokyo train station at the Uniqlo store at 10:30 pm. So I made sure to find that place on my way to Tokyo Disney. 

We had to take two trains to Disney Sea (and Disneyland). Not surprizingly, there were serveralother SASers on the trains. Gregg the videographer was even on the main line from Yokokama to Tokyo, so maybe there'll be some footage of me on the DVD. (Update: there wasn't.) 

After finally arriving at the park, Kayla, Jillian, Nicole and I pranced

 inside to be greeted by Pluto. There were decorations for Christmas and the 25th anneversary all over the place. It was truly magical. We decided to stick to circumnavigate the park as we had been the rest of the world for all these months. Disney Sea is similar to Epcott in that there are all different countries represented. The difference is that every place you visit in the park is a big city on the water and there's a huge lake-type thing in the middle. 

We started our sea adventure by getting line pass tickets for the Journey to the Center of the Earth ride  because the line was enormous even that early in the morning. We would just have to stand in line for the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea ride; you can't have more than one line pass at a time. From there we  jumped on Sindbad's Storybook Voyage. I thought this ride would be an adabtation of Aladin (there was definitely a picture of Genie), but it turned out being much different. Good music though. I'll have to watch that movie on Hulu sometime, I guess.

Lost River Delta was the next destination on our journey. We soon found ourselves on the Raging Spirits ride. Everyone agreed the hightlight of the ride was when they shot out fog in front of you so you c
ouldn't see where you were going next. At that point, it was time for us to hit up the center of the earth. They went all out for that ride. There was a huge worm monster trying to eat us and all kinds of other stuff my earth science book did not never said anything about. 

After some studying of our map, we decided t
o get lunch in New England. The place was so cute! A big ship, which everyone thought was the Titanic (that would make no sense – it sank before reaching the US), was the highlight. They also had a colonial-looking area called Cape Codde that had a lighthouse. We rode the Tower of Terror ride and took pictures with Cruella Devil, who sounded like an American, before walking by the Mediterranean Harbor to watch the BraviSEAmo performance on the water. It was great. To the Japanese visitors' entertainment, we danced around to the japanese versions of American songs. 


One of the best parts about our visit was the japanese garb.  The guys looked pretty
 normal, at least nothing sticks out in my memory. But the girls...man. To start off, a majority of them were wearing heels. Why would you torture yourself like that? I knew my feet would be hurting by the end of the day in my most comfortable shoe
s, but heels?! They also looked impossibly cute, as if they were headed to a party I wasn't invited to. Think harijuku. Cute clothes and cute hair. 

All the girls were wearing their hair in a high, high bun. They somehow got it to look messy, but neat at the same time – something I have not been able to duplicate. 
On top of that, most of them were wearing some form of a Minnie Mouse hat. It was almost too much.

So, we stayed for the Christmas performance and huge fireworks show right before the park closed. Both were pretty spectacular, I improved upon them by getting some frozen yougurt. Then, it was back to the train station.

I waited in front of the Uniqlo store for Yuri. As I waited, I was afraid I wouldn't recognize her. It had been a long time. Luckily, we didn't have that problem because she definitely could recognize me; I stuck out like a thumb.

I was hoping we would go out somewhere, but she had class in the morning, so we just decided to head back to the ship. She thought it was really funny to go to the pier because, apparently, in Yokohama that is a date activity. Of course, she thought the boat was enormous, but I explained to her that it's really not, in comparison. We really didn't get to hang out for as long as I would have liked or expected. But I guess at this point I've learned to be patient and flexible and not surprized when things don't turn out the way you expected.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Voyage Day 1–Aug 29, 2008

We have officially started our voyage today. I stood in line to board the ship in the sweltering sun for around 45 minutes, finally getting on the boat that will be my home for the next three months at 11:30 am (eastern time). They took my passport and vaccination records, handed me an insurance card, ID card and sent me off to my room. My roommate was already in our cozy cabin, 4157. Her name is Kellie, and she is a senior in some school in New Hampshire, though she is from New Jersey like everyone else on the east coast. She commenced unpacking while I waited for my own luggage to be delivered. It's so weird to compare the amount of stuff I seem to need up in Boston to what I brought on this trip. I needed to pack appropriate clothing for 11 different countries, oh and the ocean. But I was limited to two bags of up to 70 lbs (mine were under 50lbs) plus one carry-on. While I was packing, it felt as if I would never have enough stuff. As soon as I checked my bags at the airpo

Arrive in Salvador, Brazil

Day 10 Here's the low-down on what I've done so far today in Salvador. We were awakened by chaos in the passport department; they couldn't decide how the process was going to go. First it was by sea, then randomly by name, then they went ahead and had the de-briefing meeting, then the process went back to by sea with random face-to-face stamping. I could have slept in for longer. We finally disembarked after ten am and walked to the elevator that takes you to the upper city. The street we walked along to get to the elevator smelled like urine. Horses kept clomping by, I assume as a part of the Independence Day parade. They were setting up a marketplace in a plaza at the base of the elevator, which we perused, but didn't buy anything in. There was another plaza at the top of the elevator with spectacular views of the bay. People everywhere were were trying to sell us shell necklaces, straw hats and other things. There were street bands playing drums and different in

Lat: 12° 32.6N Long: 58° 0.75W

Day 4 at sea This whole journal-keeping thing is hard. When do people find the time to do this stuff? I feel as though I'll be constantly busy this entire semester. No time to relax on the beach or deck by the pool. We had our first classes yesterday–an A day. I had International Investments at 800 then Communication Across Race and Culture at 1425. It didn't take long for me to decide that I needed to drop the finance class. There was a suggested pre-rec of intro to macro, which I did not take of course, and I was completely lost. I felt better later, though, after I talked with another kid from the class who had taken both macro and micro and still didn't know any of the terms on the homework. I love my communication class. The professor is very cool and laid back. She wants everyone to feel relaxed and to not worry about grades. She is also a psychotherapist. That's pretty awesome. She reminds me of Shannon Boston in the way she is jolly and draws people to her