Skip to main content

Honolulu, Hawaii


Day 92

Breakfast was served early this morning: from 0630 to 0800. I was not happy about waking up that early. What made me especially unhappy was that Kelly had heard that we wouldn't be able to get off the boat until noon or later. Luckily, that rumour was wrong. Customs proceedings began a little after 0800, and the ship was cleared by 0900. 

While we were waiting for the ship to be cleared, I got to see Kelly's parents for the first time. They called her to say they were standing on the dock off the back of the boat. So we went out there and waved. We were formally introduced as I disembarked with Kelsey. Her brother is really attractive. And her parents were so sweet. They were surprisingly excited to meet us. I was thankful they had invited us to join them for dinner.

Kelsey and I let them go about their business, and we set out on our mission for Starbucks and an ATM before heading to the beach. The ATM was easy enough to find, and we just had to follow the parade of SAS people to Starbucks. Of course the line was endless. Instead we followed our noses into a different coffee place. I lucked out because we could also buy post cards there. Bonus!

We wandered around lost for a few minutes trying to find where we could catch the bus to Waikiki beach, but soon asked information for help. I am embarassed to say I felt like I was in Japan. There were so many Japanese people there, a lot of them were tourists. I took in the perfect setting on our walk through the city to the bus stop. The weather was so great. Christmas decorations were up. We were in Hawaii. What could be better?

We got off the bus in front of some shopping center, perhaps a mall. But that's not where we wanted to go. Kelsey 
and I wanted the International Market. That is the tourist spot. We found it around the corner. THEN we found out that you can bargain there! It was their lucky day because I thought I would never get to use my bargaining skills again. Right after we left China I fell asleep thinking about my new bargaining strategy. But I woke up realizing that we weren't going to any more places where I could use it. But I found a place in Hawaii! And my strategy worked. I'm kind of a professional. My sales lady almost spanked me I bargained so hard. That takes skill.

As soon as I had taken them for all their worth, we made our way to Waikiki beach. It was like Malaysia de ja vous. Except the sand was covered in people. And the people were much more naked here. I was surprised to see so many people on the beach on Thanksgiving. I figured SAS kids would be the only ones. My first stop when we got there was the bathroom, actually. But then I bought my first drink in the United States. They even IDed me. It was rather gratifiying. 

The next task at hand was finding a spot for ourselves on the crowded beach. I guess it could have been worse, but we didn't get a chair or umbrella. We laid out for a few minutes before deciding to get some floatie beds. I guarded the stuff while Kelsey got the inflatable comfort lounge pads (I'm sure that's their official name). The water felt so refreshing. I could have easily floated around all day long. But we had things to do. Like surf.

That's right folks. Kelsey aka the best surf instructor in the world (and I've been around it) offered to teach me. We asked some of our neighbors to watch our stuff then we pranced over to the rental place. A very good looking guy helped us find the longest board I've ever seen, even in my limited experience. However, as soon as our cutie walked away, another rental guy showed us where the foam boards were. And Kelsey said that's what we wanted. She made me practice on the beach even though everyone was staring. (She's mean.) Finally we migrated to the water. The waves were just the way I like them, nice and small. So small, in fact, that they kept dying before I could ride them. 

Finally, just before Kelsey was about to drown, a big 'un came along. And I stood up! Not for long. Kelsey told me to stand up early, when the wave was at my shoulder, or else I would miss it. That's what I thought I did, but I guess I stood up too early, like when the wave was at my knees. So I was in front of it, and then I fell. It was really exciting, though. I surfed, kind of. It's a big accomplishment to stand up, I hear. Anyway, I did that one more time. But my third try I did it perfectly. I got to ride the wave in halfway to the beach, where it died. Surfing felt like standing on your own personal moving sidewalk. Oh, energy transfer, what would we do without you? 


I paddled back out to where Kelsey was waiting, and we asked a hottie for the time. We were shocked to find out that we were almost out of time. We were more shocked to see that the people to whom we had entrusted our stuff had peaced. Jerks. Kelsey wanted to wait for one more wave for me to ride in on, but I knew it wasn't going to come. We paddled on in together and posed for pictures.

After returning the board, we decided to get ready for our Thanksgiving dinner with Kelly and her family. We grabbed all our stuff and headed toward the bathroom in the restaurant/bar where I bought my drink. Everyone in the bathroom loved our new dresses. We gave them bargaining pointers before hitting the street for Waikiki Tiki Bar and Grill. The Smiths were already there waiting for us. Kelsey and I ordered drinks, and then great conversation ensued. Our poor waiter was probably irritated that we took so long before we ordered. But the talk was just good. 

Everyone excetp Kelly got the Thanksgiving special: turkey, cranberry sauce, mashed potatos, stuffing, sweet potatos, asparagus and yummy apple crisp. Kelly got ribs. Man, we were full after that meal. Kelly's brother was so stuffed, he declaired that he would require a c-section. We talked for as long as we could without getting dock time. Eventually, we were forced to head back to the ship, though. Gar greeted Kelsey and I on our way in with a compliment on our dresses. I wish he wouldn't tease me like that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Voyage Day 1–Aug 29, 2008

We have officially started our voyage today. I stood in line to board the ship in the sweltering sun for around 45 minutes, finally getting on the boat that will be my home for the next three months at 11:30 am (eastern time). They took my passport and vaccination records, handed me an insurance card, ID card and sent me off to my room. My roommate was already in our cozy cabin, 4157. Her name is Kellie, and she is a senior in some school in New Hampshire, though she is from New Jersey like everyone else on the east coast. She commenced unpacking while I waited for my own luggage to be delivered. It's so weird to compare the amount of stuff I seem to need up in Boston to what I brought on this trip. I needed to pack appropriate clothing for 11 different countries, oh and the ocean. But I was limited to two bags of up to 70 lbs (mine were under 50lbs) plus one carry-on. While I was packing, it felt as if I would never have enough stuff. As soon as I checked my bags at the airpo

Arrive in Salvador, Brazil

Day 10 Here's the low-down on what I've done so far today in Salvador. We were awakened by chaos in the passport department; they couldn't decide how the process was going to go. First it was by sea, then randomly by name, then they went ahead and had the de-briefing meeting, then the process went back to by sea with random face-to-face stamping. I could have slept in for longer. We finally disembarked after ten am and walked to the elevator that takes you to the upper city. The street we walked along to get to the elevator smelled like urine. Horses kept clomping by, I assume as a part of the Independence Day parade. They were setting up a marketplace in a plaza at the base of the elevator, which we perused, but didn't buy anything in. There was another plaza at the top of the elevator with spectacular views of the bay. People everywhere were were trying to sell us shell necklaces, straw hats and other things. There were street bands playing drums and different in

Lat: 12° 32.6N Long: 58° 0.75W

Day 4 at sea This whole journal-keeping thing is hard. When do people find the time to do this stuff? I feel as though I'll be constantly busy this entire semester. No time to relax on the beach or deck by the pool. We had our first classes yesterday–an A day. I had International Investments at 800 then Communication Across Race and Culture at 1425. It didn't take long for me to decide that I needed to drop the finance class. There was a suggested pre-rec of intro to macro, which I did not take of course, and I was completely lost. I felt better later, though, after I talked with another kid from the class who had taken both macro and micro and still didn't know any of the terms on the homework. I love my communication class. The professor is very cool and laid back. She wants everyone to feel relaxed and to not worry about grades. She is also a psychotherapist. That's pretty awesome. She reminds me of Shannon Boston in the way she is jolly and draws people to her