Skip to main content

Preparing for Spain

The process of finalizing my application for my semester in Madrid was much different than getting ready for Semester at Sea. Semester at Sea really did so much of the heavy work for me. I guess they had to, since most of my problems were with acquiring my visa, and there were so many visas to get for Semester at Sea. Somehow I managed to get everything together, though there were a few close calls.

Now, the day has come for me to leave. My flight leaves Tulsa at 6 am tomorrow, and I am freaking out. I have everything packed (somehow I managed to fit it all into two suitcases), so I'm set. But I have recently come to the shocking realization that I don't speak Spanish. Yes, I've taken it since 8th grade. No, that doesn't mean I speak it.

How am I supposed to manage living with a Spanish family, taking classes in Spanish and interning for Spain Glamor? They will expect me to speak Spanish! And rather well, too. I'm terrified.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Voyage Day 1–Aug 29, 2008

We have officially started our voyage today. I stood in line to board the ship in the sweltering sun for around 45 minutes, finally getting on the boat that will be my home for the next three months at 11:30 am (eastern time). They took my passport and vaccination records, handed me an insurance card, ID card and sent me off to my room. My roommate was already in our cozy cabin, 4157. Her name is Kellie, and she is a senior in some school in New Hampshire, though she is from New Jersey like everyone else on the east coast. She commenced unpacking while I waited for my own luggage to be delivered. It's so weird to compare the amount of stuff I seem to need up in Boston to what I brought on this trip. I needed to pack appropriate clothing for 11 different countries, oh and the ocean. But I was limited to two bags of up to 70 lbs (mine were under 50lbs) plus one carry-on. While I was packing, it felt as if I would never have enough stuff. As soon as I checked my bags at the airpo...

Semana Santa - Las Fallas de Valencia

Stage 1.2 La Crema We woke up around noon on Friday. We immediately got into the car to drive into the city and see the last show of noise fireworks. They're set off at 2 pm every day for about two weeks before the Crema of the fallas . And they're supposed to have a certain rhythm to them. The plaza is always packed for the fireworks show, and especially for the last show, so we wanted to get there early. We worked our way through the crowd and squeezed into a small bar to get a breakfast of patatas bravas and calamari. Then headed back outside to see/hear the show . After the fireworks, everyone disappears from the streets and into the bars to drink until the crema begins. We walked a few blocks away from the middle of the city to try to find someplace where we could have a sufficient meal. Cote said he was going to buy us lunch because it was his saint's day. Saint's days are more important than birthdays here in Spain. I'm actually surprised he didn't h...

Ho Chi Minh City/Saigon

Day 68 I'm struggling to keep up with my feelings. This trip has really opened me up. I feel more like myself than I have in years. Actually, I feel like more than myself. My friends on the ship and my experiences in each country have inspired me to really live life more fully.  That may have seemed impossible to me three months ago, but now I've surpassed my previous connectedness to life. I sing more; I dance more; I laugh more. (Not in public places, though; I'm still just as proper and embarrassed.)  At the same time, I'm so torn between my elevated happiness and the heinous unfairness of the world. Or maybe realizing my privilege has made me not take it for granted. I expect that I will seem significantly different to everyone when I get home. I'll probably be annoyingly optimistic and remind everyone of how lucky we all are. But it's true, and we should be reminded of it frequently. Okay, so what brought this all up (well, it's been ...