Skip to main content

President Obama

Day 69

It's hard to get any journaling or reading done right now. I'm watching the presidential elections in the Union. It's pretty crowded. We are streaming live the radio and occasionally video of the election on MSNBC.

There is an excited electricity in this room. Everyone is smiling, some people are crying. 


It's so strange to be here right now. It is 12:45 here, so 00:45 in Boston. The speeches should be broadcast soon. I'm going to try to get some work done before the scramble for lunch.

O-BA-MA! O-BA-MA! O-BA-MA!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Voyage Day 1–Aug 29, 2008

We have officially started our voyage today. I stood in line to board the ship in the sweltering sun for around 45 minutes, finally getting on the boat that will be my home for the next three months at 11:30 am (eastern time). They took my passport and vaccination records, handed me an insurance card, ID card and sent me off to my room. My roommate was already in our cozy cabin, 4157. Her name is Kellie, and she is a senior in some school in New Hampshire, though she is from New Jersey like everyone else on the east coast. She commenced unpacking while I waited for my own luggage to be delivered. It's so weird to compare the amount of stuff I seem to need up in Boston to what I brought on this trip. I needed to pack appropriate clothing for 11 different countries, oh and the ocean. But I was limited to two bags of up to 70 lbs (mine were under 50lbs) plus one carry-on. While I was packing, it felt as if I would never have enough stuff. As soon as I checked my bags at the airpo...

Ho Chi Minh City/Saigon

Day 68 I'm struggling to keep up with my feelings. This trip has really opened me up. I feel more like myself than I have in years. Actually, I feel like more than myself. My friends on the ship and my experiences in each country have inspired me to really live life more fully.  That may have seemed impossible to me three months ago, but now I've surpassed my previous connectedness to life. I sing more; I dance more; I laugh more. (Not in public places, though; I'm still just as proper and embarrassed.)  At the same time, I'm so torn between my elevated happiness and the heinous unfairness of the world. Or maybe realizing my privilege has made me not take it for granted. I expect that I will seem significantly different to everyone when I get home. I'll probably be annoyingly optimistic and remind everyone of how lucky we all are. But it's true, and we should be reminded of it frequently. Okay, so what brought this all up (well, it's been ...

Barcelona

Flew to Barcelona yesterday morning. Just in time for Día de Sant Jordi (St. Geroge Day), which is the Spanish version of Valentine's Day. There are roses being sold EVERYWHERE, in any color you could ask for, even rainbow. It is also el día de los libros (book day), so there are tents set up in all the plazas selling books. Several of them also have authors signing throughout the day. I had a book called Fantasias animadas by Berta Marse inscribed. I came to Barcelona this weekend to visit my friend from high school spanish class, John Neff. So I was calling him throughout the morning trying to meet up. However, he has a spanish girlfriend, so he was spending the day with her. I decided to get myself away from all the cuddly couples and roses on the street by having some retail therapy. I spent a lot of time in Desigual because I really want to get something from there, but I couldn't find anything I really liked enough to pay those prices. Their swim suits are adorable...