Skip to main content

Ryanair Sucks


Ryanair sucks. They seem fenomenal when you're booking your flight and it costs a mere 25 € roundtrip.

But then you get to the airport.

Actually flying with Ryanair is a horrible experience. Unless you buy your ticket at the counter, and, come on, who does that anymore? you must check-in online and print your boarding pass. They say it's no problem if you have printer issues or no printer. But what they really mean is that it will cost you 40€ for them to print it for you at the airport. This is "because there are no printers" at the airport.

If by some luck you did print your boarding pass or you had enough cash to buy a new one, you then get to go through the super-fun process of checking your bags or trying to fit your normally-acceptable carry-on into the shockingly small testing cage. Don't forget that you're only allowed ONE (1) piece of hand luggage. No, you can't also carry a purse or computer. Those things must fit into your carry-on, which must fit into the tester-cage. I have witnessed several people breaking pieces off of their luggage in order to make it fit, only to be charged the 35€ because, clearly, it won't.

Now your flight is delayed an hour. Next your gate changes sending you and one hundred other people sprinting through the airport.

Alright, so you made it on the plane, though your wallet may be much smaller than you had expected when flying with Ryanair. Time for a good nap before your busy day of sightseeing/conferences/dealing with family ahead. Well, no. The Ryanair crew are going to interrupt your little siesta every 15 minutes or so to try to sell you over-priced goods like food, drinks, perfumes and lotions, lottery tickets and even smokeless cigarettes. I am actually tempted to buy those and see how they work. But...I'd rather be sleeping. And there's no way you won't hear the announcements that Carol is coming through the cabin. The volume on the speakers will pierce through even the loudest iPod.

Finally, you land, everyone applauds (literally. I've seen this happen several times only on Ryanair flights.) You're late. Yet, they still insist on playing a recording of a leprechaun announcing that the airline with the most on-time flights, Ryanair, has again landed on time.

Please get me off this plane asap.

Want more evidence of how much Ryanair sucks? Google it, or start here: http://www.ihateryanair.co.uk/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Voyage Day 1–Aug 29, 2008

We have officially started our voyage today. I stood in line to board the ship in the sweltering sun for around 45 minutes, finally getting on the boat that will be my home for the next three months at 11:30 am (eastern time). They took my passport and vaccination records, handed me an insurance card, ID card and sent me off to my room. My roommate was already in our cozy cabin, 4157. Her name is Kellie, and she is a senior in some school in New Hampshire, though she is from New Jersey like everyone else on the east coast. She commenced unpacking while I waited for my own luggage to be delivered. It's so weird to compare the amount of stuff I seem to need up in Boston to what I brought on this trip. I needed to pack appropriate clothing for 11 different countries, oh and the ocean. But I was limited to two bags of up to 70 lbs (mine were under 50lbs) plus one carry-on. While I was packing, it felt as if I would never have enough stuff. As soon as I checked my bags at the airpo

Lat: 12° 32.6N Long: 58° 0.75W

Day 4 at sea This whole journal-keeping thing is hard. When do people find the time to do this stuff? I feel as though I'll be constantly busy this entire semester. No time to relax on the beach or deck by the pool. We had our first classes yesterday–an A day. I had International Investments at 800 then Communication Across Race and Culture at 1425. It didn't take long for me to decide that I needed to drop the finance class. There was a suggested pre-rec of intro to macro, which I did not take of course, and I was completely lost. I felt better later, though, after I talked with another kid from the class who had taken both macro and micro and still didn't know any of the terms on the homework. I love my communication class. The professor is very cool and laid back. She wants everyone to feel relaxed and to not worry about grades. She is also a psychotherapist. That's pretty awesome. She reminds me of Shannon Boston in the way she is jolly and draws people to her

Lat:19° 47.6N Long: 069° 43.8W

Day 2 Wow. I thought it was crazy to have to get used to the motion of the train. But imagine if you were on a train 24/7–but it never stayed at a steady speed. The shifting of the boat feels like a train constantly speeding up and slowing down. We zig-zag through the hallways and rock to sleep at night. Today was a rather boring and exhausting day. We've been in orientation meetings from 9 am to 9:30 pm. I haven't seen Daniel since lunch. Oh well. I sat with Kellie and Kelly. Met a few more people. I just feel so worn-out from all the meetings. The boat's rocking makes me sleepy. I think the combination of those things makes it seem as though I've been on the MV Explorer for much longer than two days. Several people feel that way. But classes start tomorrow, so we can get into some regular kind of routine. Until Brazil that is. Speaking of which, I should check to see if Ricardo has emailed me back. That would be so fun if we could meet up. I went to sleep thi